Meet Dr. Peterson
A native of Colorado, Dr. Jill Peterson received her Bachelors of Science degree from Hillsdale College in Michigan. She began her studies at Baylor College of Dentistry in 1993. In 1997, Dr. Peterson concurrently completed her DDS from Baylor College of Dentistry and her Masters of Public Health degree from the University of North Texas Health Science Center in Fort Worth.
Dr. Peterson completed her residency in Endodontics and PhD in Biomedical Sciences with an emphasis in Craniofacial Biology. She held the prestigious Mentored Clinical Scientist Award from the National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research that supported her training and research between 1997 and 2002. Dr. Peterson has published multiple abstracts and papers.
In April of 2002, Dr. Peterson purchased an existing endodontic practice and named it Uptown Endodontics, P.A. Dr. Peterson is an avid reader and loves movies and spending time with friends.
“Patients immediately feel at ease upon entering the relaxed, friendly atmosphere that Dr.Peterson and her staff have created. They are deeply committed to the highest level of patient care, sharing a conservative philosophy with regards to endodontic treatment.”
Dr. Peterson Named “Super Doc” by Living Magazine!Learn More »
Dr. Peterson Featured in “Women in Business” by Living Magazine!Learn More »
- Texas A & M Health Science Center Baylor College of Dentistry PhD May 2002
- Texas A & M Health Science Center Baylor College of Dentistry Endodontic Cert. March 2000
- Baylor College of Dentistry DDS June 1997
- University of North Texas Health Sciences Center MPH June 1997
- Hillsdale College BS May 1989
BOARD CERTIFICATION, CREDENTIALS AND STATE LICENSE
- Board Eligible in Endodontics
- State Board of Dental Examiners Dental License August 1997
- CPR Certification Current since 1991
- National Institute of Dental Research: Mentored Clinical Scientist Development Award (K08 DE00403: $310,000) Edentulation and mechanics of the craniofacial skeleton. 1997-2002.
- National Research Service Award, National Institute of Dental Research Traineeship (T35 DE07188-06: $4,700) Biomechanics of the human cranial vault: Elastic properties and microarchitecture. 1996-1997
- American Association of Dental Research Fellowship ($3,500), Function, elastic properties, and microstructure of human circumorbital bone.1995-1996.
- Baylor College of Dentistry Student Research Grant ($3,000), Function and variation in elastic properties of the parietal bone.1994.
Other Grant Applications
- Baylor College of Dentistry Student Research Grant, Biomaterials of the edentulous maxilla. 2000
SOCIETY AND ORGANIZATION MEMBERSHIPS
- International Association of Dental Research
- American Association of Dental Research
- Craniofacial Biology Group
- Post Graduate Education Group
- Dallas Section of the American Association of Dental Research
- American Dental Association
- Student Clinicians of the American Dental Association
- Texas Dental Association
- Tarrant County Dental Association
- American Association of Endodontists
- Academy of Sports Dentistry
- Sigma Xi Fraternity
HONORS, AWARDS, AND RECOGNITIONS
- Chief Resident, Graduate Endodontics, September – December 1999
- American Association of Public Health Dentistry Student Merit Award Competition 1997
- Honorable Mention for Outstanding Achievement: Texas public school nurses assessment of children’s oral health status.
- American Association of Public Health Dentistry, Community Dentistry and Dental Public Health Award, 1997
- The Dallas Section of the American Association of Dental Research Award, 1997
- Pierre Fauchard Award of Excellence in General Dentistry, October 1996
- ADA/Dentsply Student Clinician Research Competition, Texas Dental Association: Finalist, 1996
- American Association of Dental Schools Warner-Lambert Preventive Dentistry Scholarship, 1996
- American Association of Dental Research, Dallas Section Student Research Competition: 2nd Place, 1996
- Baylor College of Dentistry Table Clinic Competition: Third Place, 1996
- The M.D.K. Bremner Award: History of Dentistry Writing Contest Winner, 1995
- Outstanding Graduate Teaching Assistant, New Mexico Highlands University, 1989-1990
- Hillsdale College Merit Scholar, 1986
- Outstanding Psi Chi Service Award, Hillsdale College, 1989
- Outstanding Junior in Psychology, 1988
PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT AND SERVICE
- Assistant Professor: Public Health Sciences, Course Director: Graduate Biostatistics 2002-2004
- Laboratory Instructor, Undergraduate Clinical Endodontics, Spring Quarter 1999
- Undergraduate Clinical Instructor Substitute, Undergraduate Endodontics, Fall – Winter Quarter 1999
Invited talks and lectures:
- Lecture, Clinical Endodontics: Retreatment Techniques. April 27, 1998
- Lecture, Biomedical Sciences Colloquium: Biomechanics of the Zygomatic Arch. May 21, 1998
- Lecture, Craniofacial Anomalies Course: The Role of Dura Mater in Cranial Suture Morphogenesis and Orientation. August 20, 1998
- Lecture, Endodontic Treatment Planning: Different Methods of Instrumentation. September 4, 1998
- Lecture, Endodontic Treatment Planning: Endodontic Treatment Mismanagement. December 4, 1998
- Lecture, Undergraduate History of Dentistry Course: Frederick S. McKay and the History of Colorado Brown Stain. Fall 1996 – 2001
- Oral Surgery Grand Rounds: Traumatic Fractures and Endodontic Management. November 9, 1998
- Lecture, Microbiology Course: Microbiology of Pulpal and Periradicular Infections and Their Clinical Management. January 1999-2002
- Lecture, Endodontic Treatment Planning: The Art of Treating Dilacerated Roots. March 19, 1999
- Lecture, Biomedical Sciences Colloquium: Differential diagnosis of craniofacial pain, March 25, 1999
- Lecture, Endodontic Treatment Planning: Selected Cases that Successfully Healed. May 28, 1999
- Lecture, Life Long Colleague Committee Welcoming Dinner: Scraping Through: The Essential Dental Experiences. August 24, 1999
- Lecture, Endodontic Treatment Planning: Retreatment of Endodontic Failures. Sept. 3, 1999
- Lecture, Clinical Endodontics: Vital & Non-Vital Bleaching Techniques. October 18, 1999
- Formal Address on behalf of the student body, The Texas A & M University Health Science Center Presidential Inauguration, November 4, 1999
- Introduction, Dental Education Promotion Program: Why Dentistry? February 7, 2000
- Lecture, Endodontic Treatment Planning: Surgical Management of Endodontic Failures. Feb. 11, 2000
- Lecture, Clinical Endodontics: Pulpal Diagnosis I & II. April 2000
- Lecture, American Association of Endodontists: A systematic review of resurgical outcomes of persistent endodontic lesions. Mar. 30, 2000
- Lecture, Dallas/Fort Worth Association of Endodontists: Surgical Failures: Resurgery or extraction? May 11, 2000
- Lecture, American Association of Endodontists: Bone. The tooth’s crypt: A structural perspective for the endodontist. May 6, 2001
- Lecture, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons: A biomechanical analysis of the human maxilla-zygoma complex. Sept 13, 2001.
- Lecture, American Association of Dental Research: A free-body diagram of the midface in the sagittal and frontal plane. March 6, 2002
Programs and symposiums organized:
- Oral Health Professional Leadership Program, Alumni Association, 1998
- Biomedical Sciences Graduate Student Organization, 1998
- Interviewing Skills, Mr. Jerry McGowen, Senior Vice President Parkland, Graduate Student Organization January 1999
- Student Eat and Learn Symposium, Alumni Association, 1999 – 2002
- Removal of gutta-percha core-carried obturation material. American Association of Endodontists, 1998, New York, NY.
- An evidence-based approach to the differential diagnosis of craniofacial pain based on anatomy.
- American Association of Endodontists, 1999, Atlanta, GA.
Related Professional Community Service:
- Session Captain, DCDS Midwinter Meeting, 1998
- Wrote the Constitution & Bylaws for the Baylor College of Dentistry Alumni Association, Summer 1999
Committee Activities and Offices:
- Life Long Colleague Committee, Member, 1998 – 2002
- Curriculum Committee, Member, 1994-1997
- Baylor College of Dentistry Alumni Association Board, Graduate Student Representative, 1998-2000
- Alumni Association Teacher of the Year Selection Committee, Member, 1999, 2000
- Alumni Association Strategic Planning Committee, Member, 1999
- Alumni Association Homecoming Committee, Co-Chairman, Fall 1999
- Baylor College of Dentistry Parking Committee, Member, 1999 – 2002
- Baylor College of Dentistry Dean Search Committee, Member, 2000
- Baylor College of Dentistry Alumni Association Board, Director, 2000-2002
Local Institutional (other than BCD):
- Texas A & M Health Science Center Task Force on Student Government, 1999 – 2001
- Texas A & M Health Science Center Presidential Advisory Committee, 1999 – present
Private Practice Activity:
- Uptown Endodontics, P.A.: Owner/Endodontist April 1, 2002-present
- Endodontic Associate: Robert Reames, DDS, MSD April 2000 – April 2002
- Endodontic Associate: Drs. McLaughlin & Miranda March 2000 – April 2002
- Endodontic Associate: Pamela Moore, DDS May 2000 – July 2002
- General Dentist Associate: Pamela Moore, DDS April 1998 – April 2000
- General Dentist Associate: Dental Health Programs August 1997 – March 1998
- Peterson J, Wang Q & Dechow PC (2006). Material properties of the dentate maxilla.Anatomical Record A Discov Mol Cell Evol Biol 288:962-972, 2006.
- Shulman J, Peterson J. (2004). The association between incisal trauma and occlusal characteristics in individuals 8 to 50 years of age. Dental Traumatology, 20(2), 67-74.
- Peterson J, Dechow PC. Material properties of the cranial vault and zygoma.Anatomical Record, Part A 274A:785-797, 2003.
- Peterson J, Dechow PC (2002). Material properties of the inner and outer cortical tables of the human parietal bone. Anatomical Record 268:7-15.
- Peterson J & Gutmann JL. (2001).Surgical failures: Resurgery or extraction? International Journal of Endodontics, International Journal of Endodontics, 34(3), 169-175.
- Stanford T, Peterson J, Machen, RL (1999). CREST Syndrome and periodontal surgery: A case report. Journal of Periodontology, 70 (5), 536-541.
- Peterson J, Niessen L & Lopez GMN. (1999). Texas public school nurses’ assessment of children’s oral health status. Journal of School Health, 69 (2), 69-72.
- Peterson J. Frederick S. McKay: Solving the mystery of the Colorado Brown Stain. Journal of the History of Dentistry, 45(2), July 1997.
- Peterson J. Texas school nurses’ assessment of children’s oral health status. Masters of Public Health Thesis, University of North Texas Health Sciences Center, April 1997.
- Peterson, J, Gutmann, JL. Systematic review of resurgery outcomes of persistent endodontic lesions. American Association of Endodontists Oral Research and Poster Research Abstracts 1: Abstract 11, 2000.
- Peterson, J, Dechow PC. Using multilevel statistics to assess cranial material properties. J Dental Res 77SI: Abstract 1025, 1998.
- Peterson J, Huyen T, Dechow PC. Biomechanics of the human cranial vault: Elastic properties and microarchitecture. J Dent Res 76SI: Abstract 1883, 1997.
- Peterson J, Dechow PC. Function, elastic properties, and microstructure of human circumorbital bone. J Dent Res 75SI: Abstract 800, 1996.
- Peterson J, Dechow PC. Function and variation in elastic properties of the parietal bone. J Dent Res 74SI: Abstract 443, 1995.
Other Scholarly Materials:
- Peterson J. Examination of the Head, Neck and Oral Cavity. Educational documentary on oral cancer. Texas Dental Association, 1996.